Saturday 16 March 2013

Onboard the Láki

Team member Miguel writes about his experience working in Grundarfjordur onboard the Láki, the whale-watching boat that goes out every day. The tours are run by Laki Tours and Discover the World.



My name is Miguel Neves, I am a Master degree student, and I’m currently part of the team conducting the Icelandic orca research in Grundarfjörður.

I spend great part of the time onboard the whale watching boat Láki, along with Julie Beesau. We’re in charge of doing photo-ID sessions of the individuals we encounter during the trips, as well as sound recording sessions, with a single hydrophone. When we get home we backup the data, and if possibly try to analyze some of it. It can be tiring, but is always great being able to see in firsthand all the data we got throughout the day, so we usually rush and do it. So I can say we have a great daily routine.

It wouldn’t be enough telling I’m having the time of my life, doing what I dreamt doing when I was younger, and doing it with such an amazing team as this is. Great workmates, in a place with amazing landscapes and such nice and helpful people I’ve been meeting along the way. What more could I ask for? Maybe just that this isn’t the last time I’m doing this.

Best,
Miguel Neves





No comments:

Post a Comment